Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Royal Oak and Birmingham, MI
Do you feel tired when you wake up in the morning, even though you went to bed on time and didn’t get up too early? Are you sleepy during the day, sometimes so sleepy you can’t stay awake? Are you more irritable lately or feeling fuzzy, like you can’t focus well? Is your sleep partner complaining about your snoring?
If so, you may have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is one of the most common sleep disorders. Sleep apnea is when your sleep has been interrupted because you temporarily stopped breathing, usually for about 10 seconds, which can occur hundreds of times in a single night. Sleep apnea occurs when the soft tissue at the back of your throat collapses and restricts or blocks the airway. This causes a loss in oxygen and an increase in carbon dioxide. When your oxygen levels dip this low, it can impact your health dramatically and negatively.
The best way to find out if you have sleep apnea is to have a sleep test or receive a sleep apnea screening in Royal Oak by Dr. Hartrick. This will give you the information needed to find out if you suffer from this sleep disorder. It is best to get it diagnosed as there are numerous serious health problems that can result from having untreated sleep apnea.
Some symptoms associated with sleep apnea:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Trouble staying awake in the day
- Feeling fatigued
- Waking with a choking or gasping sound
- Snoring loudly
Dr. Hartrick offers another sleep apnea and snoring treatment that you may consider. It’s a nightguard that you wear in your mouth while sleeping. The nightguard adjusts your jaw so you can breathe better and can stop the snoring. Many of our patients, especially those who sleep on their backs, have found a great deal of relief with our sleep apnea and snoring nightguards.
Some of the other reasons why nightguards are a great sleep apnea and snoring treatment option are:
- Nightguards require no electricity. If you are going somewhere that has no electricity, such as camping, using a CPAP can prove problematic since you will need to bring a bulky generator or find a power source for the machine.
- Nightguards are small and convenient, making them easy to take with you with you travel.
- Nightguards don’t have any moving mechanical parts that can break.
- Nightguards are far more appealing for anyone who struggles to have the CPAP mask over their nose and mouth as they sleep.
- Nightguards are much easier to clean.
Read how Dr. Nancy Hartrick helps patients get a good nights rest
MI Dentist Treats Snoring and Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea Screening and Treatment in Birmingham, Royal Oak
Millions of Americans live with sleep apnea and are unaware of their plight. Because of the serious health consequences, it is essential to get a screening today if you snore or experience any other symptoms associated with this disorder. A simple sleep apnea screening could save your life! To learn more or to schedule your screening today, just call Hartrick Dentistry at (248) 549-0950. We screen patients for sleep apnea in Royal Oak and Birmingham.